Of all the diseases in the human body, back disease is, firstly, the most common, and secondly, the most painful in its course (especially in indifferent forms).Both the first and the second encourage us to know exactly what causes back pain and what are the ways to eliminate or at least reduce the pain syndrome.
In the following article, we will analyze these issues in as much detail as possible from the beginning, describing standard methods for relieving pain, regardless of the cause. Next, we will focus on specific diseases, along with symptomatic treatments that are appropriate for each specific situation. It will also focus on the facts and risk groups for back pain.
What to do if your back hurts
Modern medicine has developed a number of treatment methods in its depths, the application of which goes beyond the treatment of only one disease. These methods include:
- Fixation therapy equipment (belts, collars, etc. );
- exercise therapy;
- Surgical intervention.
In general, a complex application of the above means is required to eliminate pain and effectively treat the cause, where the practical ratio of some methods to others is determined by a certain pathology.
Reference: This disease is characterized by displacement of the spine to the side and extends beyond the normal boundaries of the spine. To compensate for such a destructive curve, excessive compression of the muscles adjacent to the area of displacement occurs.
The latter causes acute pain syndrome that can be relieved by the following methods:
- Painkiller.There are many proven over-the-counter products available in the pharmaceutical market that can effectively treat pain. Sprays, capsules, ointments, tablets - regardless of the form of release - all work according to the standard principle (if we are talking about non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). The drug prevents some chemicals called prostaglandins, which are responsible for the pain process. These medications include:
- Acetylsalicylic acid;
- The second way to relieve pain in scoliosis is an effective tool to reduce muscle spasms - a hot compress.The mechanism of action is to relax the muscles, increase mobility and dilate the adjacent blood vessels.
Help: Generally, a heat pad wrapped in a towel is placed on the painful area no more than 2-3 times a day for 20-30 minutes.
- In addition to heat, the opposite force of cold can also be used to relieve pain.Ice, cold heating bags, etc. at the same time effectively eliminates inflammation and swelling. Generally, apply a cold compress for no more than 20 minutes per beat.
The spinal cord is the point where the spinal cord intersects the many nerve pathways that run through all the organs of the human body, or rather a line.Often, destructive pathologies or physical injuries can cause nervous breakdowns, which can lead to a severe pain attack. In this case, surgery may be needed, so you need to see a doctor immediately.
To cope with the first signs of a compressed nerve, you can do the following:
- Take an analgesic similar to the previous pharmacological list above.
- Minimize traffic;
- Strictly follow bed rest.
After the elimination of acute pain syndrome, other therapeutic and prophylactic means are used - physiotherapy exercises, massage, traditional medicine, etc.
Reference: This disease is explained by the breakdown of polysaccharides and proteins that are responsible for the strength of connective tissues in the body. When reduced, deformation of the intervertebral discs develops.
Osteochondrosis is usually accompanied by persistent or paroxysmal pain, which is rarely acute.
Pain syndrome occurs according to the localization of the disease (spine, chest and cervical spine).Depending on the type of pain, there are effective ways to relieve it:
- Sports therapy, massage and medication are used for neck pain;
- For low back pain - a series of statistical and dynamic exercises, infectious drugs;
- Medication, massage and physiotherapy are also used for eye pain;
- For pain in the heart and chest - therapeutic blockade, anti-inflammatory and analgesic drugs, bed rest;
Important: The methods of the same physiotherapy exercises are different for each type of osteochondrosis, which means consulting a specialist before performing certain exercises. The same applies to medications, massage, physiotherapy and other therapeutic and prophylactic means.
When this disease appears, the main accompanying symptom is acute pain syndrome, which is often important for the patient to stop.Dystrophic processes in the body cause a strong displacement of the vertebral disc and the formation of an intervertebral hernia, which in turn is accompanied by unbearable pain. Second, in some cases, they themselves can cause the most unpleasant consequences, up to painful shock.
Effective treatments for herniated disc pain include:
- Medication use;
- exercise therapy;
Thus, the medical method consists of taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, drugs to relieve muscle tension (muscle relaxants), chondroprotectors and analgesics of corticosteroids.
Forms of release can be very different - from intravenous injections to ointments and stains.
Physiotherapy is generally limited to the following set of procedures:
- Shock wave therapy;
- Electric current;
- Bee Poison;
Sports therapy, in turn, consists of regular performance of exercises prescribed by the attending physician, depending on the characteristics of each patient. These include activities in the pool, cycling, walking, etc.
Note: This disease is often considered the primary form of the previous disease. Thus, when the contents protrude at a distance of 5 mm from the spine, the protrusion is called intervertebral disc pathology.
In this case, the pain syndrome is less intense than in a hernia. However, it reaches the threshold when it needs to be lifted.
Methods similar to the previous list are used to successfully combat disc herniation pain.
This word refers to pathological inflammation and compression of the sciatic nerve. This type of neuralgia causes acute pain syndrome that can be treated in the following ways:
- Use of narcotic analgesics: morphine hydrochloride, flupirtine maleate, tramadol hydrochloride, etc. );
- Ointment (diclofenac, nimesulide, diclofenac sodium, ketoprofen);
- Physiotherapy (electrophoresis, shock wave therapy, electric current, etc. );
- Physiotherapy exercises;
- breathing exercises;
- Cold compress.
Pain syndrome in sciatica is most often localized in the lower back and lower extremities, which is a key factor in choosing a particular method.
It is an inflammatory disease that causes pain, swelling and stiffness in the joints. You can use the following to combat the pain syndrome that occurs with arthritis:
- Sports therapy (traction, kneading, cycling, walking);
- Hot paraffin bath;
- Hot shower or bath;
- To use a stick while walking;
- Weight loss;
- Physiotherapy methods;
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
In this disease, the joint protrudes from the joint capsule, resulting in inflammation.With timely treatment (at least five therapeutic and prophylactic procedures) it is possible to eliminate the pain syndrome and prevent the pathology from becoming chronic.
Sooner or later, oncological diseases begin to be accompanied by attacks of pain that can be both solitary and persistent.
The fight against cancer pain often consists of three stages.
- Mild pain - non-opioid analgesics (meloxicam, ibuprofen, diclofenac sodium, etc. )
- Light opioids (tramadol hydrochloride) when fortified.
- Severe pain - adjuvant therapy and drug analgesia (morphine hydrochloride trihydrate).
Important: The use of each of the above groups is associated with a certain stage of disease development and therefore depends on the effectiveness of the main treatment.
Osteoporosis is a chronic systemic disease of human bone tissue, in which the microarchitecture, density and metabolic processes are disrupted.
As a rule, the pain syndrome in osteoporosis occurs only with significant loads on the supporting motor system (lifting weights, staying restless or lying down, etc. ). The usual localization of pain is in the back, ankles and hip joints.
- Diclofenac (both as an ointment and as an injection);
Sports therapy, physiotherapy (shock wave therapy, electric current, etc. ) and corrective equipment (corset) are also used
Diseases of the internal organs spreading to the back
These pains can have a variety of causes, from coughs to sexually transmitted diseases. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, which have already been mentioned several times, are often used to relieve this type of pain.
Thus, we conclude the list of remedies for pain relief, which is a symptom of a specific back disorder. Unfortunately, diseases are not the only cause of pain. Second, it can be the result of things like muscle in the back, muscle tension, muscle damage, the wrong mattress, lifting weights. Let's look at each of these cases separately.
Help: As it is called, lipoma is a benign type of tumor that results from the proliferation of adipose tissue cells. Lipomas can appear on any side of the human body, including the back.
The tumor is generally completely painless and has no side effects. However, sometimes there is inflammation, which is accompanied by acute pain syndrome, which can be eliminated by getting rid of the wen itself:
- Medication (used when the lipoma is less than one centimeter). A special drug is injected with a thin needle that melts adipose tissue.
- Surgical treatment (complete removal of the neoplasm).
to lift weights
It often happens that a person begins to feel pain in the musculoskeletal system, especially in the spine, after heavy physical exertion. Second, it has a different intensity and localization depending on the location and type of lesion.
In this case, you should consult a doctor to find out the exact cause of the pain. Ointments, tablets, and stains containing non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, meloxicam, ibuprofen, diclofenac) are very suitable to reduce the latter.
An alternative principle for dividing the pain syndrome may be the localization of the appearance, one of which may be the lumbar region. In this case, the relief of pain depends on the specific cause of its occurrence.
Acute back pain during active physical activity can also be a symptom of stretching of the back muscles or stretching of the lower back. In this case, the following is used to combat pain syndrome:
- Complete rest;
- exercise therapy;
It is recommended to use special support corsets, bandages and belts to prevent recurrence of traction.
This reason is similar to the previous one. It differs only in the greater intensity of the pain experienced. Therefore, in the event of damage to the back ties, the means to eliminate it are similar to the previous list.
Injectable medications (ibuprofen, diclofenac, etc. ), compresses, and bed rest should be preferred for rapid relief of acute pain.
Pain from improperly installed mattress.
Important: In most cases, experts advise not to sleep on extremely soft or extremely hard surfaces. These mattresses do not maintain the correct position of the spine during sleep and can damage your back.
The first logical action in back pain is to consult a neurologist. The second is to pay close attention to your mattress.
The standard features to consider when evaluating mattress quality are:
- Type of construction (spring, no spring);
Choosing a mattress is valuable not only for its comfort, but also for the advice of an individual doctor who knows the characteristics of your back.
Thus, the causes of back pain are not limited to one or two diseases, but have a wider range of conditions.
However, in the case of low back pain, certain risk groups and equally certain factors of its occurrence can be distinguished.
- Age (average age 55 for men, 60 for women);
- Sex of the patient (according to statistics, men suffer more from back pain).
- Constant weight lifting;
- Power procedures;
- Continuous reversal of the back and / or inclinations;
- Excessive load;
- Lack of physical labor culture;
- neglect of health;
- Present a destructive lifestyle.
In the above article, we have tried to cover as much as possible the phenomenon of low back pain, its causes and effective solutions. I hope you found the information useful. In any case, the main thing in all this is to pay attention to your health and the health of your loved ones.