Osteochondrosis is a disease in which the structure of the intervertebral joints and discs is disrupted, leading to compression of the spinal cord as a result of degenerative processes.Inflammatory processes cause severe pain; With a long-term disease, the function of internal organs may be impaired.Metabolic disease of the intervertebral discs is very painful, so it is important to know everything about osteochondrosis: what it is and how to treat osteochondrosis of the spine.
The essence of osteochondrosis
To understand the treatment of spinal diseases, you need to know what osteochondrosis is. At the heart of the disease is a violation of the trophism of the vertebrae and intervertebral discs.Intervertebral osteochondrosis causes changes in the proper structure of all tissues and parts of the spine. The cartilage disc lost its elasticity, shape, and consistency, causing a decrease in the distance between adjacent vertebrae. Instability leads to narrowing of the holes, tightening of the back muscles and compression of the nerve roots due to pain. Osteochondrosis looks like this.
Progressive osteochondrosis has complications in the form of protrusions and vertebral hernias. In the future, intervertebral osteochondrosis causes degenerative changes in the small joints of the spine, intervertebral ligaments. Due to bone growth, the elasticity of the column is lost, subluxations and curvatures begin to appear. In general, such processes are characteristic of physiological aging of the body, but the disease also affects young people. Therefore, the question of what to do with osteochondrosis worries almost all segments of the population. To do this, you need to learn the causes of the disease.
There are many factors that contribute to the development of osteochondrosis. The formation of the vascular bed begins with the intervertebral discs, and nutrition occurs according to the principle of diffusion.This is a factor that prevents discs from recovering from excessive stress and damage. A person often complains of back pain. The causes of osteochondrosis are directly related to the wrong lifestyle of people.
- Poor or inadequate nutrition. Intervertebral discs that do not receive nutrients begin to thin and deform.
- An important cause of osteochondrosis is lack of physical activity, overweight, metabolic diseases.
- Disorders of the musculoskeletal system, deterioration of posture, straight legs.
- Damage is a very common cause of osteochondrosis. Strokes, falls, abnormal, sharp movements, microtrauma of the spine due to excessive stress. Fracture, macrotrauma due to severe bruising.
- Infectious diseases, intoxication.
- Stress, as well as smoking, provoke vasospasm. Heredity affects the onset of the disease.
- Climate factor in the form of cold and humidity.
The main causes of osteochondrosis are the disproportionate distribution of the load on the spine, a very weak muscle corset. People over the age of thirty are at the greatest risk, especially if their work involves sitting for long periods of time. To find out how to get rid of osteochondrosis, you need to understand how it develops, what kind of damage to the spine during the disease.
What is the cause of osteochondrosis?Due to the influence of the above negative factors, the disease begins to progress through several stages of development.This is:
- In the first stage, intervertebral osteochondrosis begins due to dehydration in the nuclear pulp of the intervertebral discs. The shape changes, straightens. The distance between the vertebrae decreases, and gradually cracks appear in the cartilage.
- In the second stage, abnormal mobility of vertebral bodies is observed, which can move and slip. The small gaps between the discs of the garden and the muscular apparatus sway due to the instability of the motor.
- The third stage is characterized by vertebral subluxation, osteoarthritis, extrusion of intervertebral discs.
- Degenerative recovery of the spine begins. Bone spines and osteophytes form between the vertebrae. This is how the body adapts to the unnatural position of the spine. Gradually, the number of bone growths increases and the vertebrae become almost completely immobile. Surgery may be required to treat osteochondrosis at this stage.
The most commonly used classification is based on the affected parts.
- Waist area. The most common variant of the disease. The presented part of the back carries the main load, as a result of which an intervertebral hernia may appear.
- Symptoms of cervical spine osteochondrosis occur due to poor development of neck muscles. A small load can also cause deformation of the vertebrae.
- Symptoms of thoracic osteochondrosis do not occur as in the previous two. This part is the most immobile, plus it has protection in the form of ribs and muscle corsets. Osteochondrosis manifests itself as a result of the development of scoliosis.
- The sacral spine carries the load of the spine, chest and abdomen. It is most common in women and is characterized by problems in the lower extremities.
- Symptoms of extensive osteochondrosis manifest themselves in two parts of the spine at once.
Symptoms of Disease
The symptoms of osteochondrosis depend on the location of the pathological process. How osteochondrosis manifests itself is an interesting question.The pain can be mild to severe and irritating, even unbearable.Symptoms and treatment are closely related. First aid to find out how and when to treat osteochondrosis of the back. The main symptoms of the disease, depending on the location:
- Problems in the cervical region are characterized by dizziness, blurred vision, severe eye fatigue. There is a headache in the neck, shoulders, arms, which is aggravated by turning the neck. The patient notices numbness of the skin of the face, neck and hands. Colored spots may appear in front of the eyes. In addition, the cervical spine often loses consciousness due to circulatory disorders and symptoms of vertebral artery syndrome.
- Symptoms of thoracic osteochondrosis are characterized by a "cola" sensation in the chest when the aching or cutting pain spreads to the heart and lungs. Painful feelings with a deep and sharp breath.
- Symptoms of lumbosacral osteochondrosis - pain spreads in the groin, sacrum and legs, causing discomfort, pain and numbness in the sensitivity of the lower extremities. Varicose veins are possible. Localization of the disease in the lumbar region has signs of sexual dysfunction, sometimes leading to dysfunction of the pelvic organs. Healing the back restores male strength. For women, problems in this area negatively affect the duration of pregnancy and menstruation.
Intervertebral osteochondrosis is characterized by a number of common symptoms. Rapid fatigue can be seen as stressful, both mentally and physically. In other organs, there is a "lumbago" in the muscles, the symptoms of lumbar osteochondrosis begin to increase. During inflammation, pain, sneezing or coughing, bending, dizziness, dizziness increase. There is a cold in the upper and lower extremities. Prolonged posterior osteochondrosis causes virtually no pain, but as a result of the fusion of the affected vertebrae, the relevant parts of the spine lose mobility.
Diagnosis and treatment
After detecting the symptoms of osteochondrosis, appropriate treatment is prescribed. After examination and questioning of the patient, the attending neurologist announces the initial diagnosis. In addition, instrumental diagnostic methods are used: CT - computed tomography, MRI - magnetic resonance imaging, ultrasound Doppler, X-ray, myelography. A thorough examination helps to identify the accompanying complications of vertebral osteochondrosis: hernia, sciatica, bulge, kyphosis.
Is it possible to treat osteochondrosis?Treatment of osteochondrosis of the spine is a long, gradual process. The duration of the course depends on the age of the patient, the severity of osteochondrosis of the spine, treatment and compliance of the patient with all doctor's recommendations.Before fighting the disease, you should get acquainted with the main directions of therapy, learn how to treat osteochondrosis:
- surgical treatment;
As already mentioned, the doctor must decide how to treat osteochondrosis of the spine. Depending on the severity of the disease, treatment is conservative or operative. A decision is made regarding surgical intervention, especially in severe, neglected cases of disease development. It is mainly used in the complex treatment of osteochondrosis. Drugs and medical technology from different industries are used together.
Effective treatment of osteochondrosis in the early stages is aimed at relieving pain. The patient wears special corsets to relieve stress on the spine. Medical treatment, physiotherapy are carried out. The next step is to take measures to prevent exacerbation of vertebral osteochondrosis. The most effective methods are used - physiotherapy exercises, massage, reflexology.
Medications are designed to relieve pain, inflammation, activate cartilage tissue regeneration, and improve blood circulation in affected tissues. The main groups of drugs for treatment:
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. NVP relieves pain, eliminates inflammation, reduces the temperature of diseased tissues of the spine. If symptoms are detected, drugs such as metamizole sodium, diclofenac, meloxicam are prescribed twice a day. Then there is a transition to tablet-type drugs: ibuprofen, paracetamol, nimesulide. The whole course of treatment lasts from ten days to a month. They take money 1 to 4 times a day. Ibuprofen, nimesulide, diclofenac sodium creams applied to the affected spinal skin are also used.
- Muscle relaxants. Reduces excessive muscle tone by relaxing striped muscle fibersThey are applied within a month. In severe cases, an injectable form of the drug is prescribed - tolperisone hydrochloride. Then tablets are used: tolperisone hydrochloride, baclofen, tizanidine. The regimen begins with small doses, gradually increasing to therapeutic and then decreasing until canceled.
- Chondroprotectors. It is aimed at improving metabolism and regenerating cartilage tissue in case of osteochondrosis (chondroitin sulfate). There are injection forms for intramuscular and intraarticular injection. The course of therapy can last up to four months.
There are additional medications that can help speed up the healing process:
- Vitamins B1, B2, B6, E are prescribed by injection in ten-day courses, improve the conduction of nerve impulses, catalyze tissue regeneration and accelerate metabolism; Angioprotectors in the form of diosmin tablets, dipyridamole, as well as injectable forms of the drug are used: pentoxifylline, to improve blood flow in the arteries, to increase vascular tone. The treatment lasts one to three months;
- Glucocorticosteroids reduce swelling and inflammation and increase the effectiveness of essential medications. There are injections for injection into muscles or joints, it is methylprednisolone. There are pills like methylprednisolone. The course of treatment is determined by the doctor individually for each patient;
- Biogenic stimulants are used to speed up metabolic processes, to help heal damaged tissues. Most commonly used in injectable form: Aloe.
Physiotherapy methods allow to activate the healing process, prolong the remission phase, prevent new exacerbations.The best physical therapy methods include:
- Sports therapy is one of the best treatments for osteochondrosis that should be used outside of the exacerbation period. A well-developed muscular corset helps to evenly distribute the load on the spine. Regular exercise improves blood circulation and corrects injuries. Breathing exercises relieve muscle spasms and help relieve pain. Joint gymnastics, rehabilitation equipment, swimming reduce stress from the spine;
- massage improves nerve conduction, tones muscles;
- reflexology. Activation of the body's defenses, strengthening the immune system, relieving spasms and pain is achieved by moving the best needles at certain points in the body;
- Electrophoresis has a relaxing and analgesic effect on muscles. Normalizes blood flow to diseased tissues.
Manual therapy, magnetotherapy, spinal traction, laser therapy, thermotherapy, mud therapy, shock wave therapy, healing showers and baths are also used to treat spinal osteochondrosis.All these methods significantly reduce the rate of disease development. The duration of a course can be up to fifteen days. Three or four repetitions of the course are held each year. An integrated approach to therapy helps to get rid of the inflammation of osteochondrosis forever.
I must say that the question is often asked whether osteochondrosis can be treated with folk remedies. No, but with basic treatment they help to reduce the condition, the methods should be agreed with the attending physician. Problem areas of the back can be treated with infusions and rubs. To do this, mix a glass of honey and a half cup of radish juice. Add one hundred grams of vodka. After mixing, the product should be rubbed well on the affected part of the lower back twice a day.
Another infusion is worth it. Thus, 500 grams of vodka is poured into a glass of lilac flowers. Insist in a tightly closed bowl for ten days. The filtered drug infusion is rubbed into the affected area.
A proper diet should include enough protein, fat and vitamins.Fast-digesting carbohydrates should be eliminated from the diet. The caloric content of meals should be between 1500 and 2500 kcal. With the exacerbation of the disease, nutrition should be deficient. Even after the condition of the spine has improved, it is necessary to eat in this way.
The first time you experience osteochondrosis, the question should not arise. The first step is to see a doctor who knows everything you need to know about osteochondrosis. Treatment is a very laborious and long process, accompanied by pain and inactivity of a person. Is it possible to treat osteochondrosis - the question remains open under the influence of many factors. Once you get rid of the acute symptoms, you should continue to look at your spine. The fight against the disease must be sustainable. In return, a person who defeats bad habits gains a healthy and strong spine.